Fred E Harlow House
Fred E Harlow House, c1900
August 26, 2021 - Regrettably we have closed the museums for the unforeseeable future to protect our volunteers and guests from the surge in COVID cases.
726 E Historic Columbia River Highway
Open Saturday & Sunday 11am - 3pm
Fred E Harlow House Museum
This Home was built in 1900 on what was known as the ”Harlow Farm” by Fred E. Harlow, son of Capt. John Harlow, Troutdale’s founder.
Originally a sea captain from Maine, Captain Harlow was a Portland businessman who came to the Sandy River to establish a country farm. He named his place Troutdale because of the fish ponds he built near the cliff. When the railroad was built from Portland through the Columbia River Gorge in 1882 he convinced them to establish a depot, which took the name of the farm.
Fred E Harlow and his family lived in the home until about 1915. The second occupants of the home were Lou Harlow, another of the captain’s sons, and his wife Laura Bullock Harlow. Both Lou and Laura were mayors of Troutdale. Lee and Mabel Evans moved into the house in the 1940s. They were the last family to live in the house. Upon Mabel's death, the Troutdale Historical Society purchased the house and has maintained it as a museum since 1979.
The knoll on which the house stands kept it above the 1948 flood waters. The contents of the house include household goods from both the Harlow families as well as many items donated by residents of the area.
The Harlow House is on the National Register of Historical Places. The grounds of the Harlow House are part of the city park system.
Harlow House Volunteers
Stop by and visit our wonderful volunteers, Andrea Heim & Hazel Webb. They take turns opening the house for visitors every Saturdays & Sundays from 11am - 3pm.